Sunday, April 10, 2011

Corvallis Inaugural Half Marathon

First of all: I'd like to point out that inaugural seems like a made up word. Just sayin.
Secondly: we did it!

I signed up for Corvallis' first half marathon back in November(ish), when I was still coming down from my endorphin induced delirium from the last race I ran....I thought "I ran 13 miles once...I can TOTALLY do it again!"

and then it started raining.....

and didn't stop.

Apparently I am a HUGE wimp (yes...it's a new revelation for me...sorry if it's old news to you). It's raining?!?! I think I'll head to the gym.......orrrrrrrr I probably have too many things to do anyways. It's below 50 degrees?!?!?!! Definitely too cold. I don't want to catch the sickness.

Needless to say my marathon training was half-hearted at BEST. I guess I'm a fair-weathered runner all of a sudden? Since when did I get so lazy? I don't understand how I can go 6 days/week to the gym for months and months, or run an average of 20ish miles/week....and keep it up forEVER!....then you miss a day. and another. and before you know it you realize "dang...I haven't worked out in like a week!?"

Why does that happen!?? How do you keep the groove? Why is scheduling so hard?!

I could ask questions forever. :)

When I'd signed up for this shindig, I simultaneously convinced a friend that it would be SO fun if she came to town to do it with me. After a few months...she informed me that there was no way in HECK she'd be able to train and wanted to forfeit her spot....oh puh-lease......I offered to walk it with her (ha! totally gets me out of training, but I'm still participating in the big corvallis event! perfect!). The week before the race hit, I touched base with my dear lovey friend...........................annnnd she'd just gotten in from a 10 mile jog.

WHAT?

You did what now?

Traitor.

I mean....'yeah...I've totally been training too!.......?' (panic level rising at an alarming rate!!!!)

I confessed my fears to a friend of mine earlier in the week. "she traaained! Everyone traiiinnned!!!! and I didn't traaainn!!!!" (seriously....picture the saddest, whimpiest, whiniest voice ever and you might get an idea as to what my hysteria was sounding like) hi....I'm pathetic. Anyhow....my friend posed the question (I think more to himself, than to me) "how many miles could I run without stopping? Just......take off and go??" I thought about it for a second.....'I think I could run....like 6? Maybe 7?'

Apparently I was wrong (which made me happy...as I got the impression that my 6 or 7 mile answer was judged to be rather on the low side....psh, whatever!).

SO.......today I ran 13.1 miles. Stopping to walk for probably a total of 2 minutes throughout the whole thing (yeah...I'll admit it...who cares!?). I held a 10:30ish pace, completing it in 2:16. Not bad!

Favorites of the day:
Completing the race (no duh)
HUGE celebratory post-race meal at the woodsman (yummm thai food). And thanks to all the people that came over the mountain! Fun fun fun lunch! Who woulda thought orange slice platters could be so funny!
No rain during the race!
The INCREDIBLE community of corvallis cheering everyone on. It was SO cool! People were out on their lawn chairs applauding, yelling, bangin on cowbells, playing music - it was so so so so fun!
Running into the stadium at the finish! How fun to end on the 50 yard line!

Not so favorite moments:
The loss of a toenail...RIP. (another one is soon to follow)
Pretttty sure my hip may never be the same...my knee is hurtin' too.....
Accidentally wiping out the guy behind me as I went in for an enthusiastic high five at the finish line (sorry dude).
Being passed by the guy with the jogging stroller?? I mean.....really? Do you have to be THAT much of an over achiever?? Blow to the esteem...
Prooobably the overall "am I going to vomit??" feeling that lasted a few hours post-race.
The last effing mile. Seriously. TERRIBLE.

We won. :) We did it! I am so proud / pleased / excited / emotional (surprised?) to have been involved in Corvallis' first half! I hope to participate for many many years!!

Visual Aides:

Pre-Race Bliss. Me, Crystal, Kate, Carolyn.

Heeey.....this trio looks familiar! Same group from the run like hell! Jenn / Me / Ruby. Nice job ladies! Now we have to do every race together!

Jenna walked it with her mama, Brenda (two middle ladies). So fun for them to do together! Ruby and I holdin up the ends.

Me...unsure as to where to put my hand. Showin off my tennis skirt.....yeah. I had someone on the course compliment my skort. so what?

Ruby and I! She kicked ass as usual. Under 2 hours with no training. OF COURSE. Ruby....you're so awesome. Stay in Oregon! :)


K......that's all!! LOVE. :)

Song this week: I don't need that, Casey Hurt 

If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want...and all that is left is a compromise.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

that is awesome Heather!! What a great time!! You should not be ashamed of walking AT ALL!!! Many good runners who do lots of races use the run/walk method and are able to keep an overall average pace of 9-10min/mile! I think that’s awesome... I still haven’t figured that out yet, but I would like to, but every time I stop I have trouble going again.

Congrats on the finish and such a good time girly! :)

Samantha said...

Oh.. and yeah, sort of a weird name for the Half Marathon.. what about Corvallis Beaver Marathon or something cooler??!

knitwitmama said...

Well done, Heather! you inspire me. I don't think I could run that far. I keep plugging away though.
Keep up the running and the writing!
love, Jennie