Sunday, June 3, 2012

26.2


Soo I did it..........I ran a marathon.

I've said "I'll never run a marathon - it's too far" at least 30 times in my life.

I got part of that statement right - it is definitely TOO far.

But I did it. Ran the whole way save for some water stations. Finished with a pace of 10:38. Ran the first 15 miles with a pace of around 9:11....felt freaking AWESOME. Everytime my pacer lady told me how I was doing, I was like "Dang! I'm so strong!!"

Then mile 18 hit.....and I realized I still had 8 more miles, and I started to get tired.

Then mile 19 hit......and my iPhone died (which is where I was listening to music as well as tracking my run)...it died because I received too many text messages/FB messages/comments all from overflowing support from friends and family and my poor phone couldn't handle it all. I was overwhelmed by the love I received, but also a little overwhelmed when my music quit with over seven miles left.

Then 20 hit and the nausea / leg cramping started to really set in. I must have said "God, please carry my  feet to the finish" at LEAST 500 times in those last 6 miles.

And He did!

I'll have lots of stories / memories, forever. Such an incredible accomplishment.

My goal was honestly just to finish it. I can't even describe the feeling at the end. I saw Noah with a camera at the finish line and just lost it.....cried like freak, totally sweaty and nasty, falling into his arms with a huge hug.

I'll quote the anesthesiologist known as SH at our hospital here: "All other challenges in life seem a little easier after you've run a marathon."

Totally true.

Couldn't be happier. :)


Here we are pre-race...it was a very misty morning on the Oregon Coast.

This was like mile 3-ish....ha :) I look so strong!

We did it! Please notice the medals - they're made of blown glass......which we watched a racer drop right after this pic was taken and shatter all over the ground. Yikes! Didn't quite think that one through maybe?

Post-race dinner photo. Probably one of the best meals I've ever eaten....I had tuna mignon (yes, that'd be bacon wrapped grilled tuna). SO FLIPPIN GOOD. Lisa was the best coach I could've asked for! She rocked it!!!!

Sunset on the coast...we stayed in Depoe Bay and it was lovely. 

My support. :)



Almost like a broken bone that needs to be reset, God breaks us where we need to be broken. He fractures our pride and lust and anger in our lives, but he does it to remodel us into His image.


Song, because I'm a girl and I can: Stronger (what doesn't kill you) - Kelly Clarkson




4 comments:

Carleen said...

Heather, I'm so happy for you! What an awesome accomplishment !!! Yes the Lord was with you to carry you through....He always will if we ask...

Meg said...

I think I teared up just reading of your success.
Glad to hear that you are praying as you run too.
Good job Heather =)

birds do it better... said...

You are freaking amazing! I'm embarrassed that I wasn't one of the many causing the battery drain on your iPhone :( Totally forgot about your big old day. I love what shu said about marathons. What a wise soul. I can't wait to hear more about it all!

MamaK8 said...

Oops, sorry for draining your battery! Even more amazing is that you were on-call the next day, showed up at 2100 and looked like nothing was going on... "oh, yeah, I ran a marathon yesterday, no biggie"