Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I made this yesterday...

Something about running really really far, coming home, then working through the night makes a person feel a little crappy the following day. I can't be sure what did me in, but yesterday I felt bad bad bad.

AND it was pouring down rain....AND it was June.

So - I did something about it and made this...........and stayed in bed most of the day watching Lord of the Rings with Noah (yeah.......we're pretty cool).

Chicken Noodle Comfort Soup when it's Raining in June

*3-4 lb chicken, cut up in 8 pieces.
*2 carrots, roughly diced
*3 ribs celery, roughly diced
*Reames Egg Noodles (they're in the frozen section, and they're SO GOOD)
*Half an onion, diced
*Couple garlic cloves, minced
*1ish tsp salt
*2ish tsps fresh ground pepper
*1ish tsp tumeric
*1ish Tbsp. dried parsley
*Couple sprigs fresh thyme
*3ish Tbsp flour.

Throw your chicken pieces in a big ol' pot, and cover with a couple quarts of water. Let boil gently for approx 30 minutes, and remove chicken with slotted spoon (reserving hot agua). CAREFULLY (I feel like I've said this before on my blog), tear meat from bone, and set aside (I burned myself, as I usually do - and don't worry if the meat is a little pink still, you'll be cooking it through more a little later). Put the chicken bones BACK into the hot boily water, and let simmer away for another 45ish minutes.

Remove bones from the stock you've just made and discard. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, parsley, and thyme sprigs, and as Noah likes to do "STIR VIGOROUSLY." Totally unnecessary, but he thinks it's key. I probably threw in a little extra garlic powder just because I like it. Let all this simmer a good 10-15ish minutes, until things start to really come together deliciously. Add your noodles / and chicken meat (shred with fork or fingers to your desired bite size), and let everyone get acquainted in the pot for another 15 min.

Mix your flour with enough water to have it all dissolve and turn into a goopy (non-lumpy) mess....couple tablespoons. Add the flour-goop to the soup and stir stir stir. This will thicken the broth some. Give it a couple minutes.

Taste. Season. Serve. Possibly make grilled cheese first...............then serve. :)

We ate this all day.

These are the egg noodles - used the whole bag......they're chewy and yummy and delightful. I learned about them from the pioneer woman - if you don't know her, google her, I love her.

Good comfort feel good soup. YES PLEASE.

That's all. :)

No comments: