Monday, May 23, 2011

In Loving Memory...

At the end of every case in the Good Sam OR it is (usually) the circulating nurse's responsibility to page overhead in the department and give recovery (PACU) the heads up that they will soon be receiving a patient. The script usually goes something like this:

"PACU, this is room 1 and we are inbound with Dr. *fill in the blank*'s patient."

Having listened to this statement something like a zillion times in the last few years, I can say that the above line is pretty standard...however, sometimes people get bored with the monotony of it all and try and get a little creative. "Hello Recovery-Land...this is Surgery-Land...we have a surprise for you in the form of a sleepy person!" yada yada yada. We have to keep in mind, that although most of our patients are quite tired......they do all still have ears...so most things paged overhead have to be kept professional.

Our dear nurse, Bob Prahl....at the end of the day ALWAYS ended his post-surgery blurb with "WOOHOO!"

In other words, if it was the last case in his room, he'd let everyone in the OR feel his excitement of the ending day by shouting this one silly word for all to hear. It was his signature statement. We ALL knew Bob's 'woohoo!'

and Bob's brownies. (The BEST brownies on earth....hands down) who knew marshmallows in brownies would be so incredible????? Anyone who had a pan of brownies dedicated to them was always instantly famous in the OR. "What?!?! Bob's brownies are here?! WHY?! NO WAY." ...and the herd of people would stampede to the lounge to try and save themselves one of the chocolatey morsels...

and Bob's ability to sleep through absolutely anything in the lounge. Seriously....he was the best napper I've ever met.

and his rocket chocolates, his ensure drinks, his surgery hats, his stories, his laughter, his incredible knowledge as a nurse, his HUGE hands, his funny sense of humor....his sweet tooth he could never quite control. :) hot cocoa anyone??

His heart......he had such a big heart.

I think though...I think the thing I'll miss most about Bob will be his hugs. Nearly every time I saw him, I had to have a big hug. It was just how it was with Bob. The greeting was always a hug. They were gentle...yet bonecrushing. That type of hug where you get all smushed in the thick of it. :)

Our sweet friend, Bob, passed away yesterday with his family at his side. I don't really want to write a lot...but thought he deserved at least a few words. I know that I speak on behalf of so many people when I say that Bob....you are really going to be so missed. We love you so much.

Here's to you...to all your woohoo's and smushy hugs. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
What a great tribute to Bob, from your heart. It couldn't have been said better. Thank you for posting it.
Kathy Weldon, SSC