Saturday, November 5, 2011

Picture not so perfect....

So...I SUCK at taking pictures....at least at appropriate times. You know what I mean??....friends or family get together - haven't seen em in awhile...have a wonderfully hilarious evening together only to have no pictures to help remember it! I hate that! And who likes a blog post without pictures anyway right??

Too many words!! Not enough visuals! :) That's how I feel at least.

On that note.....let me write. :)

Today has been probably the most unproductive day I've had all year. Last night was a wonderful evening spent with a bunch of good girls doing silly things / drinking too much champagne......today I've literally spent all day recovering....apparently I am no longer young and unaffected by alcohol (my new running shoes are taunting me in my room...but sudden movements make me queasy).

While I can't quite bring myself to study for my quiz on Monday....I am also unable to sleep any more...so here I am!.............and I have no idea what to write about.

Life?

Sure.

It's been just fine. Same story, different day. I've started the painstaking process of nursing school applications again....mainly just filling them out for practice (ha) so that I can perfect the art come Spring. I have to say, I've been relatively discouraged by this whole thing (shocking right?). I want nothing more than to just be a nurse. To serve people like that. Unfortunately, I am consistently bogged down by feelings of exceedingly low confidence. SIDENOTE: this is not a cry for help. I'm not fishing for words of encouragement - just merely stating my feelings on the topic. The points system is just that.....a system....and a skewed one at that. The more points you have, the more likely you are to get in. Sounds simple right? WRONG. You get 5 points if you live in Albany, and 1 point if you have a phD....Amber pointed that one out - and seriously what the EFF is up with THAT?! (not that I have a phD - but you get my point right?!) NO POINTS for experience....zero / nada / zip.......but rather acceptance literally hangs on grades and essay points. Ugh. I am not stupid - I know this....but I'm also not a straight A student - and I am DWELLING on that fact. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm terrified that I am going to be in school the rest of my life. ugh.

haha says the 5 year old girl throwing a temper tantrum.

To soothe my frustrations I've started pondering all schooling options. LBCC is NOT my only option (thank GOD). So we will see.

Just know.........that it's a sensitive subject. And pray with all your heart that I get accepted SOMEWHERE this year so that I don't go off the deep end of insanity. :)

Work has been BUSY. I always boast about loving my job - and I do! I really truly love it. I love my work family, and I LOVE that every single day I honestly clock out having learned something new........but oh man we've been busy! And I'm tired! :) Thank goodness for my wacky schedule and the fact that I now have 5 days off to forget about it all!

We had some really sweet patients this week though. I had one lady (84 years old) telling me love stories like you wouldn't believe. I got sad when we couldn't chat anymore because it was time to make her sleepy. She was SO faithful, and just so so so filled with hope that I couldn't help, but feel uplifted. There's an ongoing joke at work that I should quit my role as 'anesthesia tech' and just be the "OR Greeter." YES PLEASE!!! I want that job. "Hi! Welcome to surgery!! We will be removing your appendix today! Are you warm enough? Is there anything I can get you (that's not food or water)?? Would you care to have a nice chat and tell me all about your life before you drift off into dreamland? YOU WOULD!!?? Excellent." I love talking to patients......at least the ones that aren't super whiney and obnoxious. No offense....but seriously some people need to get over themselves. I understand that your hand is just excruciating right now - but you should have thought about that BEFORE sticking it in the lawn mower blades.............

Kidding. I'm not usually that heartless. Compassion is huge at the hospital....but humor is definitely necessary.

FOR EXAMPLE:
This is a funny story....LAUGH.
:)
A couple of weeks ago I was helping transport a vented (someone breathing with assistance) patient from surgery back up to ICU when their arterial line came disconnected at one of it's little hubs. I'm not sure how many of you have cut through an artery for fun - but those suckers have STRONG blood flow. Literally within seconds it looked as if there was a brutal stabbing down the length of the hallway (the public hallway, I might add). Terrible?? YES. Blood loss to the patient?? Minimal (I reconnected it as soon as I noticed that my pants were all wet...gross). The look on housekeeping's face?? Pretty hilarious......

I helped clean up! I'm just saying...ya gotta laugh. Ish happens. Such is life.

I can't even tell you how many stories I have (everyone has) like that. I may start a blog just for them............................somehow I have to find time for all these ideas. :)

On that anti-climactic note....here are some pictures I've found on my phone...some old, some newer....mostly all taken at awkward times....but at least they're pics!

This one really captures my double-chin quite nicely. I'm not 100% sure what the ice pack is for - but I remember my arm hurting a LOT, and my sweet recovery nurses (Kelly / Tracy) fashioning me a boo-boo healer.

Ruby and I went to the frolic last year. Such a cute cowgirl! I miss her!

JennyJen dancing her heart out.....as she likes to do. :)

This was after a delicious dinner at my parents this summer post Da Vinci Days I believe. Scotty, Crystal, Laura, Jimmy, Noah and myself all went for a long sunset walk. Jimmy is jumping for joy!

Dr. Taylor (little dude in green) saving our patient, Bob (caped metal dude) while Sonny provides anesthesia........normal.

MY WORST FEAR. 

I had to capture this lady's free spirited dancing. She had MOVES! I was jealous.

Bad (yet kinda cool?) lighting of Ava "messing with the chickens!!!!!". She kept screaming that over and over again. It's pouring down rain right now, and sadly, my bike is still in that exact same spot. :/

Important form from work. :)

Kevin on his birthday this past year.............we made him do a lil birthday shot. :) ugh. the idea sounds TERRIBLE right now.......

Coolest truck at the hospital. It is literally LESS THAN AN INCH off the ground! Look at that! Low-ridin........no big deal.

Remember this!? Best sushi night EVER. Jenna come back. Nathan make this!

AND.........I started getting into the whole photo thing and found some oldies......but goodies......

Me: badass. Laura: annoying. Typical. :) Love you sissy!

Yep. Just eatin dinner at the ping pong table with my sloppy joe hat on.........

I want to cuddle MYSELF in this picture. How stinkin cute is THAT???



That's all I got. :) Enjoy. Happy Saturday. All my love and all that jazz.

What would life be like if we could see the soul of each person, rather than what we see on the outside?

No comments: