I'm on for seven days.
Off one.
On one.
Off five.
That makes sense right? Throw some call in there and you've got my life. It is saturday morning and I'm at the starting line of my five days off. The sun is out....Saturday market is calling my name with fall festival to follow. I LOVE my schedule.
More importantly (or maybe not)...I LOVE my job.
Me / Stephanie (middle) / Candace (not me). Go heart team!
This silly picture was taken outside our heart room at work. My two girlfriends and I are quickly gaining a reputation as "the charlies angels" of the OR....or the heart room. Aka.....mess with any of us and we'll kick your ass. HA!...no seriously we will. I love these ladies.
My sister recently posted as her facebook status:
"if you are lucky enough to wake up in the morning and get excited to go to work, please please please tell me what you do with your life!? ....already waiting for the weekend..." (sorry Kelly....)
I am lucky enough to love my job. I may moan and groan in the morning about the fact that it's still dark some days when I have to go in...but for the most part.......I'm excited to see my work family everyday......I'm excited to see whats on the surgery board. We do such a wide variety of things......from carpal tunnel releases to open heart surgery. It gets grim at times (yes...patients die and it is sad and awful), messy a lot of times (seriously.....walk into a room after a hemiarthroplasty and it looks like something off of saving private ryan), but for the most part.......we're helping people! how is that not cool??? I get to meet the most interesting people everyday!! Yesterday, for example, I met an inventor!....sure he was a little crazy, but still we had a fascinating conversation about carpeted walls.....?? I've been heckled and yelled at, swooned over and praised....sung to (yes....sung to) and cried on. I've seen people in all states of mind and in the full spectrum of emotions and I love it. We are such interesting creatures. I truly think that working in surgery....in the moments right before someone is getting ready to be rolled into their operating room you see the true colors of a lot of individuals. That moment when they realize "crap...this is it....crap crap crap! I'm nervous! I don't want to do this anymore!" Then....the anesthesiologist gives you your happy medicine and everything changes "whoa! those are the COOLEST lights I've EVER seen! Lets talk about how cool light is." But....for reals.....all jokes aside, it is scary to know that you're literally putting your life in someone else's hands while they put you to sleep (WHAT?! thats crazy!) and stab at you...sewing things back together, hammering rods into your bones, slicing and dicing all without your knowledge. But......you wake up....and maybe not the next day or the next day after that, you start to feel better.
That. is. awesome.
I am an anesthesia tech at Good Sam...it has taken me nearly 6 years of more or less wasting my time in college to figure out what in the heck I want to do with my life. Three or four different declared majors later...I'm not going to OSU for the right thing AT ALL. oh well. I am one of those people that went for job experience instead of quickly finishing a degree. Do I regret it? Not one single bit. Am I tired of school? YES. I know in my heart that one day I'll be a nurse........and hopefully work in the OR again....but I'm taking my time while finishing prereqs / my BS (yes, I'm still finishing my degree....better to be double / triple covered I suppose). I'd finish so much quicker if I just bit the bullet and applied for grants / loans / scholarships, sucked it up and went full time...but I don't want to. I'm not ready to leave just yet.
I didn't really intend to gloat about how much I love my job........mainly to express that I'm excited to have 5 days off!! Yes.......despite the fact that I just raved about how wonderful it is to go to work, time off is still very much appreciated.
I think its time to check out the produce at the market.
Have a lovely Saturday!

5 comments:
I think it is pretty cool (and uncommon) that you have been lucky enough to have a career you really like. College just preps you for the world- most folks don't work within the degree they earned. It's more of a "Badge of Courage" that you could actually sit through it all and graduate-- shows fortitude and some degree of intelligence to prospective employers. But the real world of working and paying your way through life can sometimes be a drag. The more you can take pleasure from your working days (which will add up to a very large part of your life) the more you will enjoy the journey.
Most times, we find stuff like that - work you enjoy- through pure happy accident.
so what is with the giant wine glass?
haha I like wine! so what?!
ps thanks pat - I love the encouragement!
heather! had to come check out your blog. i loved the 'i love work' post. and i love the outrageous number of ellipses..........
Post a Comment